Senior Event PlannerVermont PBS is searching for a highly organized, creative, and motivated leader to shine as our Senior Event Planner. This position will oversee development and execution of a comprehensive events strategy in support of the station’s Marketing and Development objectives and goals. The ideal candidate possesses a demonstrable passion for public media, community building, and event management and will have a minimum of 5 years of expertise planning and executing impactful and memorable special events.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, this position will manage a wide range of event initiatives including fundraising galas, community forums and screenings, public relations events, tradeshow exhibitions, and conferences, among others.
The Senior Event Planner must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines. The ideal candidate will provide outstanding communication to internal stakeholders as well as vendors, event attendees, and volunteers, and be an enthusiastic professional, capable of building strong and fruitful relationships with our viewers, donors, and community partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to see the “big picture” and meet objectives in all stages of event planning, design, and production.
- Management of all project elements within time limits and on budget.
- Comfort with public speaking and assuming host/emcee duties.
- Exceptional communication skills to liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
- Expertise with various audio and visual formats and A/V interfaces and equipment a must.
- Able to conduct market research and gather information.
- Adept at negotiating contracts.
- Provide clear, well-written periodic reports to leadership.
- Management and organizational skills needed to manage all event details such as decor, catering, entertainment, transportation, location, invitee list, special guests, equipment, promotional material, etc.
- People skills needed to staff events and coordinate their activities.
- Enthusiasm regarding collaborative work with Marketing and Development departments to design, promote, and publicize events.
- Proactive approach to handling issues and troubleshooting any emerging problems on the event day.
- Follow-through and willingness to conduct pre- and post-event evaluations, reporting on the outcomes.
- Research skills to identify event opportunities, understand the market, and generate interest.
- 5+ years prior experience coordinating special events.
- Experience with office administration.
- Proven track record of generating revenue from events.
- Experience with integrating social media into event planning and execution.
- Experience in managing VIPs, C-level executives, and celebrities.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Superior time management skills, multi-tasking abilities, team playing skills.
- Budget management and negotiation skills.
- Ability to accomplish projects independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
Working Hours: A flexible schedule is required to support meetings and events which may occur outside normal business hours such as nights and weekends.
Travel: Approximately 50% travel or more to manage events in VT, NH, and QC