Media Specialist / Traffic
As a bargaining unit (union) member, the Media Specialist/Traffic person is responsible for Vermont PBS on-air programming management and traffic duties as well as managing media for broadcast and online. Media Specialist/Traffic duties include independent responsibility for preparing logs for channel playout, as well as preparation, enhancement and quality control of daily broadcast and digital video assets.
The ideal candidate should be familiar with digital video formats as well as possess an understanding of broadcast asset workflow, satellite downlinks, closed captioning and digital (web and other media) distribution.
General proficiency with computers and Office applications is essential. Some experience with and knowledge of digital video and broadcasting is highly desirable, as is some familiarity with non-linear editing.
This Media Specialist/Traffic person will act as Vermont PBS’ main point person for log scheduling and traffic, working closely with Programming Services and other programming personnel.
The Media Specialist/Traffic person will use Vermont PBS’ Myers ProTrack scheduling system to create channel logs that will ultimately become Sony/PMM channel origination system playlists. The Media Specialist/Traffic person will work alongside Vermont PBS Support Engineers and the programming, production, development, marketing and engineering teams at Vermont PBS, the PMM/Sony broadcast center in Boston, other PBS stations and national distributors. Other duties include:
- Work directly with the Sony/PMM system in Master Control
- Keep current on new equipment and broadcast standards in the industry
- Point person to address traffic issues and programming
- Implementing on-air strategies for interstitial breaks, overall programming, fundraising, and timely online video presentation
- Manage media, video files and server storage
- Capture digital files and convert files for online use
- Encode, modify, and manage tapes/files of archival analog video content
- Preparation of fundraising programming and logs for broadcast
- Manage closed captioning sessions and finished files
- Quality control of incoming, stored, and outgoing video content
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- College degree or equivalent preferred as well as one or more years related experience in television, cable, agency and/or production company.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional communication skills – in person, telephonically, written and online.
- Technical competency operating computers and communicating with others on site and at remote locations.
- Ability to manage digital files and adhere to file naming and storage protocols
- Ability to learn to use specialized applications for specific tasks
- The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and possess strong interpersonal skills, the ability to learn new skills quickly and employ them.
- Ability to adapt to change and stay calm under pressure.
- Trustworthy, credible and reliable.
- Collaborative: Ready to pitch in to help others.
- Excellent oral communication in English, and knowledge of textiquette, etiquette, and social skills.
- Independent, responsible, and exercises abundant good judgment; strong interpersonal skills.
Internal - Work is normally performed in climate-controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephones, etc.). No known environmental hazards are encountered in normal performance of job duties.
Work involves standing and walking for brief periods of time, bending and filing, but most duties are performed from a seated position. There is potential for eyestrain from reading detailed materials and computer screen. Deadlines, workloads during peak periods and changing priorities may cause increased stress levels. Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboards at a moderate skill level. Must hold a valid driver’s license to drive company vehicle, as necessary. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Supervisory Responsibility: None.
Please submit resume and cover letter via:
or mail to:
Attention: Human Resources
10 East Allen St. Suite 202
Winooski, VT 05404
or complete online form below: