Assistant Chief Engineer
This position is responsible for organizing, planning, managing, documenting and executing assignments within a demanding live broadcast environment. This person is responsible for the management of the equipment and all computer systems that provides the content of our broadcast streams and all business and telephone systems. Candidate will be responsible for maintaining regulatory compliance and assuring quality control of on-air product. This position involves supervisory roles while reporting directly to the Director of Engineering.
- Directly manage and oversee broadcast operations and the maintenance engineers, which include Master Control Operators, Control Room Operators, Maintenance Engineers and other technical staff.
- Effectively manage and motivate the department personnel to attain maximum focus to ensure smooth and efficient operations to produce the highest level of quality to the viewer.
- Deploy and train personnel in new and existing equipment/technology/procedures including the station's broadcast automation system, live newscast production, and digital workflows.
- Exhibit a good working knowledge of television maintenance and IT systems, as well as FCC requirements and licensing.
- Document and maintain engineering and operational policies and procedures.
- Ability to adapt to multiple priorities and follow through until successful resolution.
- Requires excellent judgment and ability to effectively handle complex issues under pressure or during emergency situations.
- Manage the building and its related systems such as HVAC, plumbing and electrical system.
- Time Management.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Stress Management/Composure.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Technical Capacity.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some lifting is required. This position must be able to do physical transmitter work from time to time with the ability to lift heavy objects, climb ladders and work in confined spaces.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; acting in rotation answering first-call and responding accordingly.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please submit resume and cover letter via:
or mail to:Vermont PBS
Attn: Human Resources
204 Ethan Allen Avenue
Colchester, VT 05446
or complete online form below: